Can You Go to the Chiropractor While Pregnant?
Throughout pregnancy circles, the topic of chiropractic care gets thrown around a lot. Most women who are pregnant for the first time are surprised to learn that going to the chiropractor while pregnant is extremely common, and there is a wide range of benefits.
Why do women go to the chiropractor while pregnant? What are the benefits of going to the chiropractor while pregnant? Is it safe to go to the chiropractor while pregnant?
Our prenatal chiropractors at Restore Chiropractic in Maple Grove, Minnesota, are happy to answer all your chiropractic care and pregnancy questions!
Why Do Women Go to the Chiropractor While Pregnant?
Carrying a child for nine months puts lots of strain on the body due to hormonal and physical changes. Your child will grow in size throughout the gestational period, and your center of gravity will shift. Due to your center of gravity shifting, your posture, spine, and joints often become misaligned, affecting your baby's position in the uterus, increasing the risk of complications, and causing general discomfort.
Each of the three trimesters of pregnancy brings its own challenges and hurdles. Prospective mothers go to prenatal chiropractors to overcome these hurdles to deliver a healthy and beautiful child.
One of the main things prenatal chiropractors do is relieve the stress and tension trapped within the nerves, improving nervous system function. Prenatal chiropractors also use various techniques, such as the Webster Technique, to adjust the pelvis and sacrum.
The Benefits of Going to the Chiropractor While Pregnant
Yes, you can go to the chiropractor while pregnant and expect to experience many benefits.
Reduce the Possibility of Having an Invasive Birth
Invasive birthing procedures are expensive, painful, and take longer to recover from. Not only is prenatal chiropractic care non-invasive in practice, but it also lowers the risk of needing a c-section or other invasive birthing techniques like forceps or a vacuum.
Prenatal chiropractors frequently adjust the position of the pelvis so your baby will have more space to move into an optimal birthing position, improving the birthing and labor process.
Adjusting the pelvis also lowers the risk of your baby having congenital disabilities, improves your range of motion, and reduces muscle fatigue, nausea, headaches, and back and joint pain.
Alleviate Physical Discomfort
If you want to live your day-to-day life more easily while pregnant, visit a prenatal chiropractor. By restoring balance and proper alignment of your pelvis and sacrum, you’ll be able to get more done throughout the day because you’ll feel less physical fatigue.
Avoid debilitating upper and lower back pain, headaches, and frequent trips to the restroom to deal with nausea by going for chiropractic care. It’s ideal to go once a week for the first and second trimesters and up to twice weekly for the third trimester.
However, our recommendations may vary depending on your physical condition, as every person and situation differs.
Other Benefits of Prenatal Chiropractic Services
- Reduced Back Pain: Back pain is undoubtedly one of the most common complaints during pregnancy, and chiropractic care can help alleviate it. A study conducted by the American Pregnancy Association found that 75% of pregnant women experienced back pain, and chiropractic care effectively relieved their pain.
- Improved Sleep Quality: Poor sleep quality is also typical during pregnancy, leading to fatigue, mood changes, and a weakened immune system. Chiropractic care can help pregnant women improve their sleep quality by reducing pain, discomfort, and stress.
- Easier Delivery: Prenatal chiropractic care can help an expecting mother prepare for delivery. It can help align the pelvis and spine, reduce ligament tension, and improve nerve function, leading to a safer and easier delivery.
- Reduced Nausea & Morning Sickness: Nausea and morning sickness are common symptoms during pregnancy, and chiropractic care can help alleviate them. A study conducted on pregnant women showed that chiropractic care reduced nausea and morning sickness and improved overall health and well-being.
- Reduced Risk of Cesarean Section: Prenatal chiropractic care can help reduce the risk of cesarean section by allowing the baby to get into the optimal position for delivery. Additionally, chiropractic care can help reduce the labor time and the need for interventions during delivery.
- Improved Immune System: Prenatal chiropractic care can improve the immune system function, leading to a healthier pregnancy. A healthy immune system can help prevent common colds, flu, and other illnesses that can harm the mother and the developing baby.
- Improved Posture: Pregnancy can cause changes in the spine curvature, leading to poor posture and discomfort. Prenatal chiropractic care can help maintain proper spine alignment and improve posture, leading to a more comfortable pregnancy.
- Reduced Stress: Pregnancy can be stressful both physically and emotionally. Chiropractic care can help reduce stress by improving the overall health and well-being of the mother, leading to a more enjoyable pregnancy.
Is It Safe To Go to the Chiropractor While Pregnant?
Doctors widely recommend that you visit a chiropractor while pregnant to alleviate the physical and mental fatigue that comes with pregnancy. One of the stipulations and main testing focus points of being a licensed chiropractor is being able to care for pregnant women.
Torque Release Technique and Webster adjustments in pregnancy are low force, with no twisting, cracking, or popping. Both techniques are highly safe and effective, with little to no risk for mom or baby.
Chiropractors are considered a “portal of entry” provider, meaning you do not need a referral, recommendation, or doctor’s order from a medical provider to see a chiropractor. We recommend visiting a chiropractor certified in Webster technique with regular experience caring for pregnant women.
Book an Appointment: Prenatal Chiropractor in Maple Grove, MN
Trust Restore Chiropractic will guide you throughout all stages of your pregnancy journey by preparing your body and mind to deal with the strain of carrying and giving birth to a child.
For prenatal chiropractic services in Maple Grove, Minnesota, contact Restore Chiropractic at 612-516-3090 to book an appointment.